Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Counting the Days

     Four weeks and counting. It looks like the 26th or 27th of March will be the day I return to the US. I have been told by friends here that I cannot leave because I have become a true Mexican. They reason that because I have eaten almost all of the indigenous foods and have participated in many traditional activities, I have become Mexican. I have to admit that I feel very comfortable in this culture. I find it warm, uncomplicated and relaxed. We could learn a lot these people. In a way, I am not looking forward to the culture shock as I reintegrate into the stressful, task-oriented and pressure-filled American culture.

          This past week I was privileged to visit San Mateo Las Piñas Sulfato. It was the second time I have been in the mountains this month. After riding in the back of a pickup truck for a couple of hours along some very interesting roads (??), we came to a dead end. We then walked about 30 minutes down a winding, incredibly scenic trail to a ranch. It was completely another world. We could almost have been centuries in the past. Words could never describe it.

Beyond the End of the Road
It is a coffee ranch, but there were tangerines, four kinds of banannas, guanabanas, pineapples, oranges and other fruits on the tree and ripe for the picking. I will miss the quality of the fruit VERY much. We were given a tour, fed a simple but delicious meal and otherwise treated like royalty.
The people are very hard-working but also very content with their simple lives. If the world economy ever collapses, it will not change very much for them.
Bee hive in a log

The Ranch

State-of-the-Art Kitchen


  




The remainder of the week was very fruitful as well with a different kind of fruit. I went to Santa Maria Huatulco for a combined service with venado (deer) served for lunch after the service. I didn't have to search for opportunities to minister. A couple of them showed up in the most unexpected places.

No comments:

Post a Comment