Saturday, February 18, 2012


At times, one can begin to feel a bit down in the dumps about life. When I think about what we gave up to come here and about the challenges we face coming back, I wonder if we didn't just waste a year accomplishing nothing. Sometimes I find myself asking if it was all worth it. Then God touches a life through me in a way that I know it has been changed forever and the answer becomes abundantly clear. It is a resounding "Yes!"

'Nuff said without revealing people's deeply private issues, but this has been such a week times over. Unplanned and unexpected opportunities to witness, counsel and encourage seemed to be around every corner. I have been blessed beyond expectations.

The Church
This has not been a week without its share of adventure. I preached four times in 8 days without a translator. It is a bit difficult because I have to read most of the message. It eliminates the freedom to move with the Spirit. It is humbling, but it makes me realize that it does not depend on my abilities or proficiencies. I trust that God is communicateing through my lousy Spanish. One of the times however, I went off script and was able to expound in Spanish with little difficulty. It just flowed.

I had the opportunity to share in a very remote village on Thursday. During the entire message I kept thinking that the message was specifically for one certain man in the congregation. After the service, I spoke with him. The message had spoken directly to his life. It was a divine appointment.

The trip to this village took 2 ½ hours along the worst road I have ever been on. It was mostly one lane of ruts and holes with a wall of mountain on one side and an abyss on the other. There was not more than 50 feet of straight or level path except for a long bridge across the Copalita River. The scenery was beyond description.

One day, I went with a friend and his family to picnic at the Copalita river near where it enters the Pacific Ocean. Unlike Illinois rivers, the water was crystal clear. It was a very enjoyable day. I also went fishing again.

Rio Copalita

As has been the routine lately, I had several meals with different friends. I am not complaining, but I am eating more than I should be. Maybe by the time it is over, I’ll be tired of Oaxaca-style food and crave a Culver’s Butter Burger or a Chicago Dog or a gyros plate with lots of onions or…..?? On the other hand, maybe I can find a restaurant up there that serves iguana. NOTE: As I wrote this paragraph, we just had our third earthquake in less than 16 hours. It was just a sudden loud boom and a few seconds of shaking. No damage. Just a couple of skipped heartbeats. Cool!!!!

Stretching the net




I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord Who made heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1,2

No comments:

Post a Comment