Sunday, January 15, 2012

What's to eat?


How much can one person eat? I might be on my way (unwillingly) to finding out. Since Donna has been back in the States, I have been invited numerous times for meals. I think I have forgotten what hunger feels like. One particular day this past week, I had breakfast, lunch twice and dinner.

I am not complaining by any means. In the first place, it is heartwarming to know that so many people genuinely care. The friends who have become a part of my life will make leaving a very sad time. A piece of my heart will remain here with them.

I am also not complaining because I love the food here. Oaxaca-style is the best. I’m sure there must have been something I didn’t like, but I can’t remember what it was. As long as it contains the Mexican vitamin, Vitamin “T” I’m all for it. For those not familiar with vitamin T, it is Tortillas, Tacos, Tlyudas, Tostadas, Tamales, Tortas and Totopos. Add some fresh hot salsa, a pitcher of Jamaica (hibiscus) water and I am all set. Also, the Mole (mo-lay), a type of gravy, is incredible and the seafood is the best. HMMMM? Is that hunger I feel?

I never found the time to be bored this week. I went to church four times throughout the week and preached for the first time in Spanish without a translator at one of the services. I only stumbled a couple of times.

I didn’t make it to the beach again, but I did spend a lot of time in the main town park. It is a great way to connect with people and it is a very pleasant environment for reading and studying. I have been spending as little time as possible alone in the apartment. Although I know a lot of people and spend a lot of time with them, it is not the same as being with those closest to you.

My ribs are still very sore. I wound up getting two cortisone shots at the Red Cross. It seemed to help a lot except that it seemed to make me retain water for a few days. I looked the medication up on the internet. I’m not sure, but it looks like it is approved only for veterinary use in the US. That may explain my urge to horse around and sleep standing up.

I am preaching tonight (Sunday) on the topic of submission. I think that submitting is a very difficult thing to do. We all naturally resist being under authority. It is against our (old for Christians) nature. Another word for submission is obedience. Obedience is God’s umbrella of protection. God’s blessings reside under it.

The opposite of submission is rebellion. Another word for rebellion is sin. We rebel against submitting to God’s authority in our lives because we fear letting go of control. We need to have faith enough in God to protect and provide for us that we submit to His instructions. The opposite of faith is fear. We are like the guy who lowered himself into a deep well with a rope he thought was long enough but wasn’t. Unable to climb and fearing the result of the fall, he held on until his strength gave out. Losing his grip on the rope, he fell ----- all of six inches. Let go!

No comments:

Post a Comment