Monday, January 23, 2012

Another Good Week


This past week was about as routine as routine could be expected here. There were only a few surprises. All of my English class obligations were met and I was blessed to be able to restart classes with the doctor at the Red Cross. The new “phrases only” class at the union hall was a lot of fun.

It was warm and sunny every day with a nice breeze. Sorry!! Be consoled though, I didn’t make it to the beach again. I didn’t get this posted on Sunday as usual because I got home from morning service and felt the need for a nap. I didn’t wake up until it was almost time to head back to town for the evening service.

I was able to make it to church services five times this week between four different churches. I preached for the second week in a row at the Sunday night service in pastor Solomón’s church. It was a bit of a challenge because Arturo, my faithful translator, was not able to make it at the last minute. I had to deliver the message entirely in Spanish. I was thankful that something had moved me to run through the translation several times. I stumbled only a couple of times over longer words. Spanish is easier to get right because every letter in a word (except h) makes a sound and almost all letters have only one sound. My Spanish is getting better thanks to not having too many English speakers to engage in conversation.

I asked the congregation several times during the message if they were still with me. They said they were. I seemed to have their close attention. I think it was because they had to be paying attention to be able to follow my Spanish. I was also delivering a message that might have seemed a bit contrary to what they usually hear. I was telling them to stop trying to be obedient. Legalistic thinking is deeply rooted here. Or maybe it is just more transparent and less sugar-coated than back home.

I wanted to make the point that grace and law do not mix. You cannot patch the law with grace and you cannot contain the new wine of grace within the constraints of the law. The New Covenant did not arise to repair or supplement the Old Covenant. It came as a replacement. I told them to stop wasting their effort trying to be obedient and to start using it to love Jesus. If we love Jesus, we will be obedient because of that love rather than out of obligation. It works!

This week promises to be a busy one. I am going to a mission on Wednesday with the pastors from Monte de Dios, the recovery ministry. Thursday is a pastor’s conference. I have a meal invite for Friday and on Sunday, I will be going in the morning to a mission with another small church which is near my apartment. Tuesday night, Wednesday night and Thursday night services plus the regular classes should ward off any boredom.

Since it now looks certain that Donna will not be returning to Mexico, I will have to leave as well. Besides the fact that it would not be right for us to be separated, such an arrangement would not play well in the culture here. Although those closest to me here understand the situation and are urging me to stay, the best thing will be to come home. I will be looking for employment. I really want to continue in ministry, but I am trusting in God for both guidance and provision. I am daily seeking God’s will in the matter and I would appreciate your prayers.


2 comments:

  1. We havee already been praying for you both!! We LOVE you... We tried to reach you for lunch today (Monday 24th), but... no body answered.

    We'll call you. We're looking forward to meeting you for meal (either breakfast, lunch or dinner). Bon Appettitte mon cher frieother. ha ha ha ha!! (Art)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be praying for you and your family, trusting the Lord to provide employment and everything else that you will need! Please tell Pastor Jeremy hello for us!

    God bless,

    Gary and Bettina Wornica

    ReplyDelete