Sunday, March 18, 2012

Perhaps the Final Edition-For now.


I’m down to 8 days and a wakeup. I remember saying things like that as I counted the days and calling myself a single digit midget when I had less than 10 days left in the US Army almost 40 years ago.  Back then, I was as excited as anyone could be to finish my three years of service and move on with my life. I find myself today excited to be returning home to see family and friends, but I am also feeling sadness at the thought of leaving behind the work and especially those who have become a part of my life. I don't like the waiting. I wish it was today. At the same time I wish the final days would go slowly.
I am in the process of saying my goodbyes. The final English classes will be Wednesday. The rest of the time I will be spent visiting and also doing the final cleaning of the apartment. We are blessed to have had Arturo and Beatriz as friends. A part of their ministry is something they call the Gymnasium of Hope. They collect clothing, food, furniture and whatever else then they distribute it to people in need. It is helping us out because I have only two 50 lb. suitcases for everything I am able to bring home. The rest stays behind. Much of it has already passed through the Gym and into the hands of those in need.
This is the third time we have had to shed almost all of our possessions. It has given me a very clear picture of the unimportance of “stuff” in life. I have said it here before, but I have learned so much in the past year about God’s love, life and myself. God has used the circumstances of life and the people and culture here to open my eyes to see from a completely different perspective. I am a little bit nervous about losing that as I reintegrate back into the culture in the States.
This will probably be the final blog from Mexico. The last few days are going to be very busy. I have more invitations than I am able to accept. The plan is to board an Aero México plane on Tuesday afternoon. I should arrive in Chicago late Tuesday night and be back in the Rockford area some time Wednesday. The first order of business will be finding employment. Then I will be looking for a restaurant that serves authentic Oaxaqueña-style food.  I look forward to seeing everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment