Monday, December 26, 2011

A Different Christmas

            This was a Christmas to remember. Traditions here are a little different. Christmas Eve is the big day and activities are centered around the Christmas Cena (Dinner) which is eaten after 9 PM. Often, the meals are elaborate. Mine was simple pasole con pollo eaten with friend Juan and his family in their tiny apartment. Pasole or pazole is a traditional type of greasy stew dating back thousands of years. It is made with corn (hominy) vegetables and meat. You dress your bowl with chopped cabbage, sliced radishes, chopped onions, cilantro and hot peppers to taste. The typical meat is pork, but I have eaten it with chicken (pollo), beef, tripe (chopped stomach, intestines, etc) and “con sangre” which is essentially boiled blood. That one was a challenge. I will miss the food here. Oaxaqueño (Oaxaca-style) food isn’t common in the Midwest.

Before dinner, I joined Juan and his family and attended the Christmas Eve mass at the Catholic Church. The house was packed wall to wall with worshipers. I was expecting the service to begin with a solemn hymn. I almost fell over when the priest led the procession up the aisle to the tune of Jingle Bells. I am sure there must be more appropriate words to their version of the song, but the words “jingle all the way” are quite permanently burned into my psyche.  

The steps of the altar were covered by baby Jesus statues. People brought them for the service. Many keep a permanent display in their homes. The church itself is dedicated to the virgin Guadalupe. There are numerous depictions of her on the walls. The ceiling contains what is claimed to be the largest painting in existence of her. It is a beautiful church.

Christmas day was anti-climatic. Things seemed very quiet. I spent an enjoyable day with other good friends at the house of Arturo. It will be a bittersweet memory. Although I enjoyed time spent with friends, the time was tainted by the knowledge that I soon may have to say good bye.  

This past week seemed like a month. I was kept busy and was blessed by several significant encounters and breakthroughs with people. It was very encouraging, but indicators seem to be pointing to my following Donna home sooner than later. I am keeping commitments already made and being cautious about making new ones I would only have to break soon. Leaving the friends I already have is going to be tough enough. 

Over the next several weeks, I’ll be looking at my options and considering what the next steps should be. There are lots of logistical issues to work out if I am to come home. Staying here for a longer-term presents another whole set of challenges. In the meantime, I am keeping productively busy and avoiding isolating.

2 comments:

  1. Bill, God bless your and your ministry. I visited that church of which your speak. The ceiling is indeed a sight to behold. We actualy went to Mass at a little outdoor chapel by the pier. Our friends waited for at the bar next door! Good luck on discerning your next move. We will pray that the Holy Spirit removes all doubt as to what that should be. Peace be with you and happy new year.
    Jerry and JoAnn Smith , Woodstock, Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ivanisaacson@yahoo.comDecember 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM

    Thanks for keeping us up to date on what you are facing. We would like to help financially, yet we are on a month to month situation. Things could change in the near future, and then we could help. We will continue to pray for God to guide you. Ivan/nan

    ReplyDelete