Sunday, July 31, 2011

Thing Are Going Swimming-ly

On the way to church Thursday night it started to rain. No problem. I always carry an umbrella. Well, it rained so hard that in the short mile or so trip, even the underside of that umbrella was soaked. Needless to say, so was I. The only things not wet were my Bible, my notebook and the sermon I had prepared. (I think there's a message there.) It was actually nice to be dripping rain water instead of sweat. It has been so humid that we are able to go swimming without having to go to the beach.

I didn't get to preach even though I was prepared. The pastors wife delivered the message. I was astounded by how well it dovetailed with the messages I have delivered there so far. It actually fit nicely between those and the one I had ready, which I will deliver next week. The people here have a fervent devotion to God. I am excited that the Holy Spirit is opening their spiritual eyes to God's unconditional grace and love for them. I can see a huge potential for an historic move of God among the Mexican people.

We started the English class at the hotel workers union hall. It was set up to be a once per week class, but the students asked if we could come two times per week. It looks like we're starting with 5-7 students. All are eager to learn. After much searching, we found a textbook which we are busily transcribing and adapting to suit our needs. We are both getting a lot of computer time on the project. Donna transcribes and I adapt. Teamwork is sweet.

I was able to attend a missions conference this week in Santa Maria Huatulco a town about 40 minutes away. It was scheduled to start at 4 PM. The actual start time was about 5:30. Of course, the end time sailed way past the scheduled time as well. By the time it ended, the busses were no longer running. The only option was to take a collectivo (shared) cab. About two blocks after getting in the cab, we pulled into a tire repair shop. Soon a young boy, who appeared to be about 13 years old, began attempting to insert a plug into one of the front tires. It kept popping out. On the 4th or 5th try it finally stuck. It was a little unnerving since we were about to travel on the coastal highway which consists of continuous curves and hills with solid rock on one side and a cliff on the other. They don't use guardrails here either. We prayed. God answered.

The longer we are here, the more we appreciate so many aspects of life in the USA that we took for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment